Herbed Goats Cheese and Eggplant with Sultana and Pine Nut Dressing
There are certain combinations of foods that work well. One being eggplant and goats cheese, the other being pine nuts and sultanas. Together they are a treat. This dish is full of flavour. The dressing also work wonders over wilted spinach. Apologies for the dreadful photograph!
Adapted Recipe from Masterchef Season 2 Cookbook
Salt, to sprinkle
3 ripe roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded
4 red capsicums, seeded, cut into flat pieces
300g soft goats cheese
180g fresh ricotta cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/3 cup basil, chopped
2 tablespoon thyme
Quality bread to serve
Sultana & Pine Nut Dressing
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/3 cup sultanas
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Cut the eggplant lengthwise into 5mm slices, lay out in a single layer and sprinkle generously with salt. Leave for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Arrange the tomatoes cut side up in an oven proof dish and bake for 30 minutes or until soft.
3. In the mean time, preheat a char grill. Lightly oil the eggplant slices and cook on the grill for 5 minutes each side or until browned and tender. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, cook the capsicums on a foil lined try under a hot grill until the skin has blackened and blistered. Place into a plastic bag for 10 minutes to cool. Peep off the skins.
4. Combine the goats cheese, ricotta, garlic, basis and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
5. Lightly oil moulds (the recipe calls for 6 ring moulds 7cm in diameter and 5cm high) but I used larger moulds. It will depend on the serving size you decide to go for. Line the bases and sides with eggplant. Spread about 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture into each base, then add a tomato half. Add another layer of cheese, some capsicum, more cheese, then a layer of eggplant on top. Press down firmly and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
6. To make dressing, mix the oil, vinegar and honey together or until well combined, then add the pine nuts and sultanas. Place the eggplant on plates and slide the rings up and off. Drizzle with the dressing and serve with bread.