Thursday, September 8, 2011

Penne with Zucchini, Asparagus, Lemon, Chilli and Prawns

Today a very special friend of mine Ms MM is going overseas to marry and to live! She recently had her hens last weekend and a mini-farewell yesterday evening. It's rather bitter-sweet. So excited and delighted for such a happy and joyous occasion but sad I won't get to attend the big day and that she will be away for a year or two. Thank god for the internet which I'm sure will bridge the gap. Ms MM is an avid follower of my blog (thank you, means alot!) so a very special mention to her on this day. I'm hoping to do a post on her kitchen tea soon (if she permits!).
.
.
This dish is another one of those dishes that are quick, easy and perfect during the week. Yes I love those recipes! The recipe is from the Biggest Loser site. I don't even watch the show but for a few episodes here and there in the last season but somehow I manage to find myself on the site. I guess sometimes we need some inspiration for some healthy mid-week meals.
.
Adapted Recipe from The Australian Biggest Loser Site
.
Serve 4
.
Ingredients
.
240g penne pasta 
400g prawns, peeled and butterflied 
2 zucchini, chopped 
8 spears asparagus 
1 tablespoon olive oil  
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
4 tablespoons lemon juice 
4 teaspoons lemon zest 
1 teaspoon chilli flakes 
Parmesan
.
Method
.
1. Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water for 10-12 minutes, or according to packet instructions. I have this very cool microwave Tupperware pasta maker I use. I know it sounds riddiculous cooking pasta in the microwave. However, I love it. Check it out here
2. After 10 minutes of cooking time, place the zucchini and asparagus in the same pot to cook altogether for the remaining 2 minutes. Drain the spaghetti and vegetables and set aside.
.
3. In the meantime, heat the oil in a non-stick fry pan over a medium heat. Add the prawns and season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Mix in the lemon zest, juice and chilli flakes, as well as the reserved pasta and vegetables. Stir through to combine and warm.
.
4. Place in a serving bowl, scatter over extra chilli flakes if you like or some parmesan.
.
You could use tuna or smoked salmon instead of the prawns with this dish. 

3 comments:

  1. Looks sooooooo good! Thank you for the recipe :D Hubby and I don't like zucchini though, what other vegies might go well with it do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Thanks girly. I think it would work well with broccoli or green beans. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pasta in the microwave? So it works? I must admit that I was skeptical! :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...