I love nuts. My favourites would have to be pine nuts and almonds in savoury dishes along with pistachio in desserts. My pantry tends to have a wide variety of nuts. I don't buy any junk food during my weekly grocery shop so love them as a snack and for cooking.
The chicken dish works so well with this spinach salad. This salad is a regular side when I don't have much time for making veggies.
Chicken with Almond Asian Sauce by Nigella Lawson (Slightly altered)
6 chicken thighs
2 teaspoon garlic oil
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
2 tablespoon natural almond butter (you can find it in health food aisle of the supermarket)
1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons rice vinegar, preferably brown
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed chilli or dried chilli flakes
2 tablespoon cold water
1. Sprinkle the chicken with the garlic oil and salt. In a lightly greased non-stick fry pan cook the chicken thighs on medium heat until cooked on both sides.
2. Meanwhile spoon all the sauce ingredients into a small bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Put aside while making the salad.
Spinach, Almond and Sultana Salad by Dressed and Eaten
Handful of almonds
Handful of sultanas
1. In a lightly greased non-stick fry pan cook the spinach on medium heat until wilted. Add the sultanas and almonds and stir through for about a minute. You can use different nuts instead of the almonds. Pine nuts also work well. If using pine nuts, add them in bit earlier to cook through more.
2. Serve the chicken with the salad. Top the sauce over the chicken.