Thursday, September 20, 2012

Salmon with Walnut Pesto

One thing I love cooking mid-week is salmon. I love how quick and easy it is to cook. It doesn't take much effort for it to taste great. I could easily live on salmon. 
.
This is another recipe from one of my favourite blogs The Healthy Chef. I'm sure I've raved about Teresa Cutter before. Everything she posts is healthy, guilt free and amazing. This recipe is exactly that. This walnut pesto would also be great in salads, sandwiches, with chicken and other seafood. 
.
Note: I love my salmon as rare as possible as you can see from the photograph! 
.

Recipe from Healthy Chef
.
Ingredients 
.
2 x 175 g salmon fillet
100g walnuts
½ cup parsley leaves
½ cup mint leaves or basil (I used basil)
1/4 cup cold pressed oil (olive oil, walnut or flaxseed oil )
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
Sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
.
Spinach and walnuts to serve as a side
.
Method
.
1. Combine the walnuts, parsley, lemon juice, zest, olive oil, sea salt and pepper into a food processor until smooth. I prefer my pesto smooth but you can mix it until its slightly chunky. Set aside.
.
2. Sear the salmon on a pan. Cook as you prefer. I like to cook it about 3 minutes on each side, as rare as possible. My husband likes it as cooked as possible. The Healthy Chef recipe is for roasted salmon. After searing it the pan place the pan in the oven at 180 degrees for about 5 minutes. I was too hungry each time I've made this to roast it afterwards. Oops! 

3. Once that's done plate up the salmon and serve with the pesto on top. Serve with some steamed greens. I served it with some wilted spinach and walnuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...