Barramundi is my favourite fish. The word barramundi is an aboriginal word meaning "large scaled river fish". I find that it is such a versatile fish that can be used in a range of cooking styles and flavours.
This recipe today is one from Jamie Oliver's latest book "30 minute meals". This is quite a clever book. The book is prepared in a rather unique way. It is divided into sections of complete feasts/menu plans, namely how to cook a 3-5 course meal in 30 minutes. The UK papers have criticised the book by saying that there is no way one could complete the set menu plans within 30 minutes. I have yet to try it but the TV series based on the book shows it is quite possible.
I've altered his recipe by replacing sea bass with barramundi and pancetta with prosciutto. I would recommend you also use a wooden chopping board to serve this dish, it just completes and makes the dish.
700g sweet potatoes
a small bunch of fresh coriander
2 tablespoons of mango chutney
6 thin slices of prosciutto
4 x 150g fillets of barramundi (I used Australian wild barramundi)
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
sea salt & black pepper
1. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Stab each one a few times with a knife. Place them in a large microwave-safe bowl, half one of the limes and add to the bowl, then cover with a double layer of cling-film and microwave for 12 minutes, or until cooked through.
2. Place the prosciutto into the frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until it become crispy.
3. Remove the prosciutto from the pan, leaving the fat in the pan. Add the fish to the pan, skin side down. Using a spatula, press the fillets flat for a few seconds.
4. Using a pestle and mortar, pound the fennel seeds. Scatter the fennel seeds over the fish while still cooking in the pan. Also add, a pinch of salt and pepper. Finely grate over the zest of 1 lemon, then cut the lemons into quarters and set aside.
5. Finely chop the coriander on a large wooden chopping board. Add the mango chutney, a good splash of soy sauce, a drizzle of olive oil, the juice from 1/2 a lime and 1 chopped chili. Chop and mix everything together on the board.
6. While the fish is still cooking, get the sweet potatoes out of the microwave and check they are cooked through. Squeeze over the juice from the limes onto the sweet potatoes. Mix the sweet potatoes with the mango chutney mixture and use a fork or a masher to chop and mash everything together. Season to taste, adding more fresh lime juice if needed.
7. After both sides of the fish have been cooked, remove the fish and serve onto the sweet potato mixture. Serve the prosciutto on top of the fish. Place the lemon wedges on the side for squeezing.
Lemon Ginger Drink
Recipe from 30 minute meals cook book (slightly altered)
This is a lovely, refreshing drink. Loved it. Can't wait to make it again.
1 can of lemonade
Few sprigs of mint
2cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
700ml sparkling water
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Mix all the ingredients together. This drink tastes better when chilled.