Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Eggplant with Tomato Salsa

My mother is a woman who takes the utmost pride in her cooking. She is very passionate about food. However, in my childhood my favourite foods consisted of fish fingers (I sometimes ate them raw, no really), hot chips and anything sweet, much to her dismay. Needless to say, as I got older my taste changed and with that has come an appreciation for her cooking. In this blog I hope to share many of her recipes. 
a
This first recipe I'll be sharing is a dish in Arabic called "Badingan Matlee", aka Eggplant with Tomato Salsa.
a
a
Recipe from my mother
a
Ingredients
4 eggplants
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic
2 cans of diced tomatoes 
1 chili, sliced
1 teaspoon of cumin
Parsley for the garnish
a
Method
1. Slice the eggplant into thin slices long ways. Brush a flat baking tray with oil and place the eggplant on the tray. Brush the olive oil all over the eggplant.
a
2. Bake the eggplant in the oven until slightly golden. While it is baking, in a saucepan add  a drizzle of oil, the onion and the garlic. Once the garlic and onion have softened and are golden, add the tomatoes. 
a
3. Once the tomatoes are simmering add the cumin, chili and cracked pepper to taste. Leave to simmer.
a
4. Once the eggplant has cooked, lay them evenly in the baking dish. Top the eggplant with the tomato mixture to ensure all eggplant is covered by the mixture. Place the dish in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, garnish with the parsley and serve.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...